This ingredient was declared a "Skin Protectant" in 2003 by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
Colloidal oatmeal binds to your skin and locks in moisture, giving your skin a chance to rehydrate. It also softens your skin and soothes itching. Its anti-inflammatory properties make it great for people who have dry skin, because it helps balance your skin's natural pH levels and blocks harmful irritants, giving your skin relief from minor irritations.
Colloidal oatmeal anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties are due to it's nutritive compounds; vitamin E, ferulic acid, and has high concentrations of compounds such as proteins, lipids, beta glucan, enzymes, avenanthramides, and flavonoids.
The anti-inflammatory compound, avenanthramides, makes oatmeal a strong antiinflammatory ingredient. Avenanthramides attack cytokines, specific protein cells that cause inflammation.
Here are some few reasons why colloidal oatmeal is one of our favorite ingredients in products;
- It replenishes the level of cholesterol, fatty acids, and ceramides in the skin and repairs compromised skin barrier.
- Beta glucan in colloidal oat deeply penetrates the skin to reduce signs of premature aging such as wrinkles, sagginess, and fine lines.
- It seals hydration within the skin and prevents loss of water from the epidermis.
- It alleviates inflammatory concerns such as psoriasis, redness, and dermatitis.
- It brings relief to extremely dry, itchy, and sensitive skin types.
Colloidal Oat is a chief ingredient in our Milk Baths & Honey Face Scrub.