I’m sure we’ve all experienced joint or muscle pain at some point in our lives, but did you know arthritis is often the culprit? While this isn’t always the case, it’s important to note that an estimated one in five Americans over the age of 18 has arthritis in at least one joint or muscle, according to the Arthritis Foundation.1 CBD can not only help acne and inflammatory conditions like eczema and rosacea, but it can also relieve pain connected to arthritis and even normal day-to-day joint and muscle pain. Here’s the inside scoop:
The word “arthritis” literally means “joint inflammation.” If you aren’t familiar with anatomy, joints are areas where two bones meet (think elbow or knee). Arthritis is known to develop when the shock-absorbing cartilage that cushions your bone isn’t able to function properly, which could be due to the wearing down of cartilage or inflammation in the joint.2
With the bone’s natural cushion weakened, the joint can swell, making it hard to move. Depending on which joint that arthritis is affecting, the disease may make normal everyday tasks, like opening jars or walking, difficult.3 There are many different types of arthritis, which includes:
- Ankylosing Spondylitis: A type of arthritis that causes inflammation in the joints and ligaments of the spine.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: An autoimmune form of arthritis where the immune system attacks the healthy joint tissues.
- Reactive Arthritis: Caused by an infection in your body with symptoms that usually clear up on their own within a few weeks or months.
- Osteoarthritis: The most common type of arthritis that usually presents itself in older people.
- Psoriatic Arthritis: Occurs in people who have psoriasis and is known to affect the skin, joints, and areas where tissues attach to bone.
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: The most common type of chronic arthritis that affects children.
- Gout: A type of arthritis that occurs as flares, typically in your big toe or a lower limb.
If you have arthritis (or think that you may be experiencing symptoms), it’s vital that you visit your doctor so they can diagnose the type of arthritis you may have and set you up with the proper treatment. Many treatments, like CBD, allow the majority of those suffering from arthritis to live active, productive lives.4 Additionally I would look for a Naturopath or Nutritionist because anti-inflammatory diet along with CBD can be a powerful combination.
What’s the Difference Between Muscle Pain and Joint Pain?
While they’re often connected to arthritis, joint and muscle pain present themselves in very different ways. While muscle pain is normally felt when the body is in motion, joint pain is more common when the body is at rest. It’s important to understand the difference between joint and muscle pain considering they both can be addressed differently.5
While the causes of muscle and joint pain can overlap, it’s usually possible to differentiate between the two. Muscle spasms often occur alongside muscle pain; movement can sometimes alleviate the discomfort as it helps to release any toxins or lactic acid that’s built up. With joint pain, the discomfort can last even when you’re resting as it goes deeper than a muscle injury.6
Common causes of muscle pain include:
- Injury, strain, or overuse of a specific muscle
- An infection or illness in the body
- Hypothyroidism, chronic fatigue syndrome, or influenza
- Medical conditions such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, and Lyme Disease
Common causes of joint pain include:
- A broken bone or sprain
- Various medical conditions such as Rheumatic Fever, Avascular Necrosis, Bone Cancer, Gout, Fibromyalgia, and Lyme Disease
- Arthritis, including both Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis
CBD for Arthritis, Muscle Pain, and Joint Pain
You probably don’t need me to tell you that CBD is truly a jack of all trades, especially when it comes to skincare and medicine. In fact, cannabinoids, like CBD, have been proven to interact with receptors that influence pain and inflammation in the body, affecting how they respond to signals.7,8
In studies, CBD, which is derived from the Cannabis sativa plant, has shown great potential in relieving symptoms of arthritis, joint pain, and muscle pain. A medical study that was published in Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research found that, of the respondents who used CBD to treat medical conditions (including arthritis), 36% found it to be effective.9,10
The National Centers for Complementary and Integrative Health says that CBD could in fact benefit chronic pain. A 2020 study found that CBD could help relieve chronic pain, improve sleep, and reduce inflammation. And, according to the Arthritis Foundation, there is anecdotal evidence to suggest that some people with arthritis who use CBD report noticeable pain relief.11
Mama’s Medicinals Healing Salve Can Help Ease Chronic Pain
Sign up for a free salve Here
At Mama’s Medicinals, we believe in potent ingredients that are natural, clean, non-toxic, and just all-around amazing for you and your skin, which is why our products are powered by Nano CBD to help you manage your skin concerns and conditions (like arthritis, joint pain, and muscle pain). Mama’s Medicinals has you covered when it comes to all of your topical CBD needs.
The Mama’s Medicinals Healing Salve is a powerful concentrated topical that can provide fast relief from chronic pain. It’s formulated with Comfrey, St. John’s Wart, Mullein, and more; these ingredients have been proven to not only be excellent for general skincare but also show potential in aiding chronic pain.
The Mama’s Medicinals Massage Oil Can Provide Extra Relief From Chronic Pain
Want extra pain relief and relaxation? You can also add Mama’s Medicinals Massage Oil to your regime. Arnica and CBD come together in this soothing massage oil to bring immediate comfort and relaxation. Set in a base of antioxidant-rich oil, this nourishing oil is great as a massage oil or as a moisturizing body oil.